Remembering all your passwords could be a difficult task, especially with all the social media platforms prevalent nowadays. If you are in front of your PC and it would not let you log in because you are entering a wrong password, then do not worry as we will be showing how you can reset your password in Windows 10.
It depends on whether you are using a local account or Microsoft account. A pin or password for login can also change the reset process for you. Do not worry as we will be covering them all.
There are several ways for you to reset your password in Windows 10 and this post will be covering them.
- Reset the Microsoft account
If you use a Microsoft account to log in on Windows 10, then you can simply reset your account. Here is how to do it:
- Visit Microsoft’s account recovery website.
- Provide the necessary credentials to log in.
- Tap Next.
- Select the way you wish to receive the security code.
- Provide the missing information and tap Get Code.
- Verify your identity when you get the security code.
- Provide a new password and then re-enter to confirm it.
- Tap Next, and you are good to go.
- Reset Account Password
In case you use a local account to login then you have to reset your password. Here is how:
- In case you are operating Windows 10 version 1803 or newer version then you have to choose the Reset password link under username on Login screen.
- Provide the answer to your security question.
- Enter your new password, and you are good to go.
- In case you are already logged into the account, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and tap Change A Password.
- Enter the account name and provide the new password.
- Reset a Login PIN
In case you use a PIN to log in to your account, then there is a separate way to reset it. Here is how to do it:
- Tap on I forgot my PIN option under PIN sign-in box.
- Provide the password to your Microsoft account and tap Next.
- Select the way you want to get the security code.
- Fill the missing details to verify the account.
- Fill the security code on your PC to reset the PIN.
- Provide a new PIN and re-confirm it.
Done, you are good to go.
- Reset a PIN from Settings
If you are already logged into your account, then you can easily change your PIN. To do so:
- Ensure you are connected to a stable internet connection.
- Tap Start.
- Under Settings go to Accounts.
- Select sign-in options.
- Tap I forgot my PIN and provide your password.
- Tap OK and enter a new PIN.
- Re-confirm the new PIN and tap OK.
Your work is done now.
- Make Use Of Command Prompt
You can choose a bit complex way of using command prompt to reset your password. To get started:
- Tap Start and search CMD.
- Right-click on it and choose Run as administrator.
- Enter the following words. Replace the Account with your account name and Password with the new password – “net user account password.”
- Hit Enter when you are finished and close the Command Prompt tab.
Here are all the separate ways you can reset your password in Windows 10.
Mia Davis is a self-professed security expert; she has been making the people aware of the security threats. Her passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. She writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.